In many locations across the country, Vitalant laboratories provide comprehensive compatibility testing services for transfusion facilities that either do not, or choose not to, perform their own compatibility testing for units they transfuse.
There are two model offerings for this service:
- Vitalant staff operate inside a hospital blood bank as a contracted partner and perform all blood bank testing on-site, including the issuance of blood products to the transfusionist.
- Patient samples are shipped out of a requesting facility to a centralized Vitalant testing laboratory, where all required testing is performed. Blood products are then issued back to the requesting facility.
- This option requires mutual agreement and completion of a checklist outlining roles and responsibilities prior to providing these services. The requesting transfusion facility must have policies and procedures defined that cover the pre-analytical and post-analytical transfusion-related processes and ensure compliance with all appropriate state and federal regulations, in addition to transfusion standards set by AABB.
Products and services include:
- Red blood cells, 100% leukoreduced
- Platelets, 100% leukoreduced
- CMV negative red blood cells
- Patient antibody detection
- Component modifications, like irradiation or washing
- Just-in-time delivery
- Staff in-service training
- Medical consultations (24/7/365)
Access testing information.